Monday, November 5, 2012

Bits Begone. (Bit 1)


One Gals Hysterical-ectomy Journey....

So it seems this is one of those 'taboo' subjects that people either don't want to talk about, or don't want to hear about...
Well, I've just been told I require a total hysterectomy and I want to talk about it, hear about it, read about it, and know every god damn thing there is to know before BB Day...(bits begone day!)
But it seems, gals to like to keep that stuff to themselves...not a lot of BB talking going on out there??
But not me...if I can't find out about what's going to happen to me, the day to day stuff, not the medical bits, then why not tell the story here, start to finish?
And share that the way you/I feel is A ok....
That way, if it's ever you, hopefully you'll be happy to of had me be your guineas pig and you'll be a little better informed....
Welcome to one gals journey...


It's going to be A ok...



Last week I took myself off to my fabulous doctor, Mary...
I have a trip planned and have just realised my period will be due while I'm away - damn it!
They've got so awful lately, I dread the thought of being out on the water, boating with friends, and having to don the hideous pads I've had to become accustomed too...tampons just don't seem to work anymore, the leakage is just downright ridiculous!
My periods had got to the stage they were interrupting my very busy social life.
I was finding it more and more difficult to get out the door at that time of the month as I was petrified of having little 'accidents', thus causing me total embarrassment......that feeling of 'woosh' bought panic to me every time...and somehow was starting to seem not quite normal!
Mirena Coil sounded like a good idea to slow things up so that was my intention...
As my very fabulous doctor is very careful and thorough, she suggested perhaps an ultra sound and a scan just to see whats going on....ughhhh! Hate those sorts of thing.....
So, an hour and a half later of scans and me been totally convinced I must of been riddled with the dreaded 'C', they assured me I wasn't dying, I just had in fact some inconsistencies and some ridiculously large tumours/fibroids - benign - and what's deemed a 'bulky' uterus...
not bad enough I'd put on weight, now even my uterus was under fat attack!

Is this too graphic?? Sorry but it tells the story...

So after a return visit to my GP, followed by my first ever visit to a Gynaecologist, Dr Tim O'Dowd, very funny, very nice man, it was decided the best option, as I clearly have NO emotional attachment to my uterus, (see previous blog, Why I Don't Do Children), was to have it banished for good...bits begone!

So begins what I imagine to be a rather interesting road to walk down?
Perhaps somewhat emotional, definitely a little uncomfortable!

I hope reading my journey will help someone else travelling this road in the future not feel as unsure, daunted or just bloody anxious!
Today I'm off to my Pre-Op Education Appt so I'll let you know how it all goes.
See you soon,

Your Pal,
Maria x x x


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please join in the conversation here....
Your input is more than welcome.